Welcome to alberntalk.com Please Log in or Register. Thanks

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Welcome to alberntalk.com Please Log in or Register. Thanks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Secure1
Click to scan this page

MEETING: April 24th about the Valley's watersheds

2 posters

Go down

MEETING: April 24th about the Valley's watersheds Empty MEETING: April 24th about the Valley's watersheds

Post by The Invisible Man Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:35 pm

THIS AVTIMES NEWS ARTICLE says "Until now, the Watershed-Forest Alliance has raised awareness of issues affecting the future of the Alberni Valley as a result of potential logging plans, but now it is time to come up with a concrete plan."

With that in mind, the alliance is hosting a meeting on April 24 to give the community a chance to hear the issues and have a say in what happens next.

None of Island Timberland LP's (ITLP) logging plans come as a surprise to me. Back in 2007, every level of government that holds an interest in the watersheds were invited to be part of ITLP's watershed assessment team. The City of Port Alberni, Beaver Creek, The Department of Fisheries, First Nations were all at the drawing board. As Beaver Creek's representative, I participated on the team. Here's an overview at what we looked at: LOGGING PLAN FOR THE ALBERNI VALLEY

One thing that I learned from the experience is ITLP is easy to work with. ITLP took into consideration all of the issues that we brought to the table. Rather than taking a combative stance, I think a let's-work-together approach would be more effective. ITLP has already shown a desire to plan their logging activities collectively. Why not reciprocate that effort?

The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man

Port Points : 402

Back to top Go down

MEETING: April 24th about the Valley's watersheds Empty Re: MEETING: April 24th about the Valley's watersheds

Post by chrisale Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Did they follow the logging plan?

chrisale

Port Points : 92

Back to top Go down

MEETING: April 24th about the Valley's watersheds Empty Re: MEETING: April 24th about the Valley's watersheds

Post by The Invisible Man Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:32 pm

In Beaver Creek, they did. I understand there was a small problem out Wolfe Creek that was resolved immediately. I can't speak for other areas. ITLP regularly takes water samples from the tributaries in proposed logging areas therefore are well aware of any impacts. That's what we should do in order to establish baseline data. It is easy to do however in order for it to stand up the data should be collected by a qualified technician. The City of Port Alberni has a hand-held turbidity monitor and qualified personnel to undertake such a task. Perhaps the ACRD could enlist their help?
The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man

Back to top Go down

Post by The Invisible Man Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:27 pm

TimberWest owns most of the forest land on the Beaufort Mountains. TimberWest is privately owned by two leading Canadian pension funds, British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (BCIMC) and the Public Sector Pension Investment Board (PSPIB). I bet some of you are tied into these investment firms through your pension plan? BCIMC's clients include public sector pension plans, public bodies, publicly administered trust funds, and government operating funds. PSPIB invest funds for the pension plans of the Public Service, the Canadian Forces, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Reserve Force.
The Invisible Man
The Invisible Man

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisale Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:12 am

The Invisible Man wrote:TimberWest owns most of the forest land on the Beaufort Mountains. TimberWest is privately owned by two leading Canadian pension funds, British Columbia Investment Management Corporation (BCIMC) and the Public Sector Pension Investment Board (PSPIB). I bet some of you are tied into these investment firms through your pension plan? BCIMC's clients include public sector pension plans, public bodies, publicly administered trust funds, and government operating funds. PSPIB invest funds for the pension plans of the Public Service, the Canadian Forces, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the Reserve Force.

Yup.

The Chief Steward of my union, Dominique Roelants, is vice-chair of the College Pension Plan Board which itself is part of the BCIMC with the Teachers, PSPB, Municipal and Worksafe BC pension plans.

A couple years ago our members became aware that the BCIMC was heavily invested in Canadian mining companies that have been involved in human rights abuses abroad, particularly South America which our union has been actively working in exposing and helping with supporting those affected with other unions through our Human rights and International Solidarity committees for years. This lead to us at last years AGM sending a unanimous recommendation to compel our pension board to consider ethical investment principals rather than only the most financially expedient.

Perhaps Timberwest is an issue closer to home that we can have them apply some pressure to.

chrisale

Port Points : 92

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down